The Mission of Sacred Hearts School is to provide excellence in education and to nurture a life of prayer, faith and service in the Catholic Tradition.
A place where children walk with God, on their journey of learning about themselves and their world.
Founded in 1862 as a parish school by Father Aubert Bouillon ss.cc, pastor of Maria Lanakila Catholic Church and a member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, Sacred Hearts School has been continually serving the children of Maui for over 150 years. When Sacred Hearts School began in the mid 1800's, Pioneer Mill was not yet built. With the end of whaling, Lahaina's demographics changed from sailors to plantation workers of many ethnic backgrounds. The first school were simply two classrooms built next to Maria Lanakila Church. In 1870, the school doubled in size... to four classrooms. In 1928, the Sisters of St. Francis joined our school. Joy, charity, peacemaking and simplicity were the principles they lived by.Their mission was to come together to help the children and they perpetuated the Spirit of 'ohana begun by Father Selelande. Each graduating class carried on the traditions and principles of our founders.
We believe that each child is born with a gift and as teachers, it is our role to help uncover that gift and inspire our children to flourish and reach their full potential. We believe that children learn best when they are having fun and that keiki need room to express themselves creatively in order to thrive. We support our children in strengthening their faith and teach our students to reach for the stars!