Click the link to view the week outline of your classes. All classes are on this link, so please look for your classes.
Monday, September 5: Labor Day- NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, September 6:
HOMEWORK: 2.5 page 74 #11-41 odd; page 76 #1-15 all
Wednesday, September 7th:
Journey into a Cell Storybook- Due Thursday, September 15th
HOMEWORK: Journey into a Cell Planning page-Due Thursday (you will have time in science class to work on it tomorrow.)
HOMEWORK: 2.5 practice worksheet-Due Thursday
Thursday, September 8th:
Science: Work on book
HOMEWORK: Work on 'Journey into a cell storybook' -Due Thursday, September 15th
Cooperative learning with groups of 2-3: hand out in class
HOMEWORK: 2.6 page 80 #1-35 odd; 2.7 practice worksheet (back of 2.5)-Due Friday; 2.6 Quiz-Friday
Greek and Latin:
Unit 6 workbook and test
HOMEWORK: Unit 7 workbook and test- Due next Thursday
Friday, September 9th
Buddies! 8-8:30 am- Apples to Apples
Warm-up: 5 minutes to study for quiz, ask questions
HOMEWORK: 2.9 page 94 #1-45 odd-Due Monday; 2.8 Quiz- Tuesday, Chapter 2 test-Wednesday
Monday, August 29th:
Warm-up: Create data table for 'Osmosis in an Egg Experiment.' Take observations and do procedures for today
HOMEWORK: In Life Science book, read pages 74-78 on diffusion. Takes notes and then do Section 2 Review #1-5-Due Wednesday; Cell and virus comic- Due Wednesday
Tuesday, August 30th:
Warm-up: Create 3 adding like terms questions with answer key. Have a partner take your test you created.
HOMEWORK: 2.4 page 68 #11-40 all- Due Wednesday
Wednesday, August 31st:
Warm-up: Watch Khan Academy-Diffusion and Osmosis and add to your notes from Monday.
1. Share comic strips and turn them in
2. Check on our egg osmosis, make observations, do procedures for the day.
3. Osmosis Rap and Osmosis Love Story -add more to notes
HOMEWORK: Diffusion and Osmosis Pre-Lab Questions (see below) Due Thursday
1. Define diffusion.
2. Define osmosis
3. What is the main difference between osmosis and diffusion?
4. What does permeable mean?
5. What does selectively permeable mean?
6. Define the words: hypertonic, hypotonic, isotonic. You use drawings and diagrams.
Warm-up: 5 minutes of Khan Academy. (Any math topic that you want to practice)
HOMEWORK: Practice Mid-Chapter Assessment page 70 #1-18 all- Due Thursday; 2.4 Quiz-Thursday, Chapter 2 Midterm-Friday
Thursday, September 1st:
Warm-up: Hypertonic, Isotonic, Hypotonic video
1. Review 'Diffusion and Osmosis Pre Lab Questions'
2. Iodine and Starch Lab
HOMEWORK: Diffusion and Osmosis Quiz-Friday
Warm-up: Study for Quiz
1. Quiz 2.4
HOMEWORK: Mid Chapter 2 Practice Test- Due Friday
Greek and Latin:
Do Unit 5 workbook and Test
HOMEWORK: Unit 6 is assigned for next Thursday.
Friday, September 2nd
Warm-up: Finish up 'Iodine and Starch lab' and finish up 'Osmosis in Egg'
1. Diffusion and Osmosis Quiz (you can use your notes)
IF YOU WERE ABSENT FOR LABS THIS WEEK: Use all the resources on my blog to get an idea of what we did. Then you will write at least 2 paragraph explanations about each lab. Click on the links below to watch the labs through a video:
Osmosis in an Egg
Diffusion in a Baggie
Warm-up: Review Test
Chapter 2 Mid Chapter Test
Monday, August 22nd: NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, August 23rd:
Warm-up: Turn in Chapter 1 test corrections
HOMEWORK: 2.1 page 54 #10-26 all; IXL Distributive Property (show work in notebook)- Due Wednesday
Wednesday, August 24th:
Warm up: Cell Organelle Quiz (use scratch paper, take it until you get 100%!)
HOMEWORK: Cell Organelle Rap-Due Thursday
Warm up: 2.2 page 58 #1-8
HOMEWORK: 2.2 page 58 #9-35 odd-Due Thursday; Quiz 2.1 and 2.2 Quiz-Friday
Thursday, August 25th:
Warm-up: Present raps
Video: Cell vs. Virus: A battle for Health
HOMEWORK: Life science book-read pages 52-55; Section Review #1-6- Due Friday
Warm-up: 1-5 Study Guide and Intervention worksheet
Study for quiz
Correct 1-5 SG and I (if we have time)
2.1 and 2.2 Quiz (with a partner)
Friday, August 26th:
3rd Grade Buddies! Get to know you Game
Start Osmosis in an egg experiment
HOMEWORK: Cell vs. Virus Comic Strip- Due Monday
Monday, August 15- Mass
Tuesday, August 16
HOMEWORK: Chapter 1 Practice Test- Due Wednesday; Chapter 1 Test-Thursday
Wednesday, August 17
Warm-up: Read 'Is Yeast Alive?' conclusions
1. Inside a Cell website and worksheet
2. Cell organelle rap video
HOMEWORK: Think of some ideas for a poem, rap, or song about cell organelles for next class. Due Thursday
Warm-up: Fill out BINGO card
1. Chapter 1 BINGO game- page 46 #1-21 and page 47 #1,2,3,4
HOMEWORK: Chapter 1 Review page 43 #1-35, 41 odd (you can do all the problems for more practice) Due Thursday; Chapter 1 test- Thursday
Thursday, August 18
1. Inside a Cell website and worksheet
HOMEWORK: Create a song/poem/rap about 5 organelles. Due Thursday
Helpful cell organelle website
Life Science book: page 38-45; Discovery Works A9-A13
Warm-up: Study for 10 minutes
Chapter 1 Test
HOMEWORK: Lab 2.1- page 50-51 #1-12 all- Due Tuesday
Greek and Latin:
Unit 3 workbook and test
HOMEWORK: Unit 4 workbook and crossword test- Due next Thursday
Friday, August 19: NO SCHOOL
Monday, August 8th:
1. Bill Nye- Cells Episode
2. Levels of Cell Organization Quiz
Tuesday, August 9th:
Warm-up: 5 minutes to study and get ready for test
Chapter 1 Mid Chapter Test- Form B
Wednesday, August 10th
Warm-up: Look at website: Cell size and Scale as a class.
1. Tweet text bubbles on comparing the size of a cell - Due Today in Class
2. Characteristics of Living things video and notes.
Warm-up: Grocery Shopping- Variables in expressions activity
Apple: 75 cents each, Banana: $1 each, Grapes: $5/bag, Zucchini: $2 each, Goldfish cracker package: $3; Oreos package: $5.50
Write expressions for each shopping item below. Then solve for the price. Then find the total price.
5 apples, 8 bananas, 2 bags of grapes, 7 zucchinis, 3 goldfish cracker packages, 4 oreo packages.
HOMEWORK: 1.5 page 24 #9-35 odd, 41-45 all - Due Thursday; Quiz 1.6 is tomorrow.
Thursday, August 11th
Pop Quiz: DO NOT USE YOUR NOTES. On a piece of recycled paper, write down the 'Characteristics of Living Things' we learned in class yesterday.
1.Review "Is Yeast Alive Lab
Warm-up: Reteach Chapter 1.5 worksheet
1. Discuss Pokemon Go graphs
2. Reteach Chapter 1. 6 Worksheet- Due Today
3. 10 minutes to study for Quiz 1.6
4. Quiz 1.6
HOMEWORK: Spiral Review page 36 #1-15 all- Due Monday
Friday, August 12th
Is Yeast Alive? Lab
HOMEWORK: Finish Is Yeast Alive? worksheet- Due Monday
Welcome back to school! :)
Monday, August 1st
Tuesday, August 2nd
Warm-up: Turn in rules contract; page 8 #5-24 do as many problems as possible in the given time
Math placement test
Wednesday, August 3rd:
Warm-up: share pendant banner in 30 seconds
1.Team building cups challenge
2. Class reflection
Warm-up: page 12 #1-6 (use book for help)
HOMEWORK: 1.3 page 12 #7-31odd- Due Thursday
Remember that you get full credit for doing your homework, even if you get a few answers wrong. We will have a time to go over tough questions the next day.
Thursday, August 4th
Make new signs: HEARTS, Mission Statement, Vision Statement. The signs must be neat and well done since they will be in our classroom all school year
HOMEWORK: Finish signs- Due Friday
Warm-up: page 14 #1-16 all
Friday, August 5th
Warm-up: What do you know about cells? Make a list on a scratch piece of paper.
1. Levels of cell organization powerpoint and notes.
HOMEWORK: Cell Organization Analogy picture (scroll to the bottom of this post to see the document.)
Warm-up: Partner up and help each other with questions that you couldn’t figure out.
Monday, May 16th
9:45-10:30 am: Math
Check off homework; HOMEWORK: Chapter 7 Form B Practice Test- Due tomorrow. Chapter 7 Test is tomorrow.
1. Finish 8th grade name tags
2. Planet Earth: Episode 3- Fresh Water Documentary
12:30-2:00pm- Finish video and plant a'a'li'i seeds
Tuesday, May 17th:
1. Build a box with the largest volume and smallest surface area. Collect data for each box.
2. Chapter 7 Form C Test
1:15-2:00pm: Launch bottle rockets with 8th graders
Wednesday, May 18th
1. Build the strongest boat engineering activity
HOMEWORK: 8.1 pg 364 #9-31 all- Due Thursday
Thursday, May 19th:
Math: 8.2 pg 370 #9-35 Due Today
Art and G&L: Chapter 1-6 Math test with a partner. Top group gets extra credit points
Friday, May 20th:
Math: Correct Chapter 1-6 math test
Science: Prep for ted talks; talent show 12:45pm
How to Prepare For a TedTalk- Speaker Guide
5 Steps to a Killer Ted Talk
10 Steps to Create a TedTalk for a Standing Ovation
Monday, May 9th
9:45-10:30 am: Greek and Latin
1. As a class, correct Unit 20 in your Greek and Latin book. Please write how many correct out of 36 and write that score on your 'Unit 17-20 Crossword Test' on the upper right hand corner, underneath your name. Two students will be chosen by Mrs. Themes to lead the corrections in the workbook.)
2. Unit 17-20 Crossword Test. GOOD LUCK! (Before turning in your test, please double check that your workbook score is on your test.)
NO HOMEWORK: We are finished with our greek and latin books! If you don't want your book, please give them to Mrs. Themes and Ms. Molina will recycle them for you. :)
11:15am -12:00 pm: May Day Thank you Cards
1. You will be making at least TWO thank you cards. Please make sure the card is creative, colorful, the words are thoughtful and you signed your name.
You can choose the following people to make a card for:
Mrs. Chadli- ti leaf haku lei for boys
Mrs. Pacleb- helped cut and iron fabric for pau skirts/tops and kihei's
Mrs. Pedroza- helped sew ALL pau skirts/tops and kihei's
(Did I forget anyone?)
2. If you finish early, you can make a name tag for pew for 8th grade graduation. This will be for an 8th grade student. This should be your very best work and Mrs. Themes has an example of what the name tags will look like for each student. You may draw by hand or create something on your iPad to print out. Please let Mrs. Themes know which 8th grade student you are making the name tag for.
HOMEWORK: Thank you cards are due Tuesday
Waihee Final Project Presentations Work Time: Please refer to last week's blog for the requirements for this presentation. I am excepting your best work.
Homework: Waihee Final Project Presentations will be on this Thursday.
2:00-2:15pm- classroom jobs and dismissal
Tuesday, May 10th
9:45am- 12:00 pm: Math
1. Chapter 7 Math Presentations: A group will be assigned a section in your math book in Chapter 7 to create a 5 minute lesson to present to the class. The class will be taking notes on the presentations that you will be able to use on a test/quiz. Please use your book, khan academy and any other resources you might need. (All of these sections are a review from 6th grade math.) You will be given about 30 minutes to prepare for your mini lesson.
Your mini lesson presentation must include:
1. Title of your section
2. At least two examples to show the class
3. At least two problems that the class has to solve to show that they learned your lesson.
Here are the following sections that Mrs. Theme's will assign to table groups (one table group will be split up since there are only 4 sections): 7.1 , 7.2, 7.3, and 7.4.
2. Chapter 7 math presentations
3. Chapter 7 Mid Chapter Test (Please use your notes that you took during the presentation.)
12:30-1:15pm- Ukulele class
1. Work and finish up on your Waihee presentations. This is the last class time session you will get to work on it.
HOMEWORK: Waihee Final Project Presentations - Due Thursday
2:00-2:15pm- classroom jobs and dismissal
Wednesday, May 11th
9:45-11:15 am: Math
1. Review Mid Chapter 7 Test as a class.
2. Chapter 7 Jigsaw: You will be assigned one of the following sections: 7.5, 7.6, 7.7, 7.8 or 7.9. Then you will come up with a short presentation (like yesterday) to teach to a small group of students. Don't forget to have a few sample and practice problems. You will get about 20 minutes to prepare for your section presentation.
3. Then you will be broken up into small groups that have one person from each section. In those groups, have each person explain their section while everyone else takes notes. Again, these notes can be used on quiz/tests in the future.
1. Two Lahainaluna students will come into class to give a presentation on "Communicable Disease Presentation." Please be on your best behavior and take notes during the presentation. If they have you doing an activity and notes can't be taken, that is fine.
2. After the presentations, please do classroom jobs and pack up before lunch.
Thursday, May 12th
9:45-12pm: Science and Math
1. Waihee Final Project Presentations. You will be taking notes on one positive and one improvement for each group.
HOMEWORK: Can anyone come to NOAA in Kihei next Tuesday, May 17th from 5:30-6:30? I need a note from parents saying that they can take you. 5 points extra credit in math or science.
2. Finish name tags for 8th graders for the pews for graduation
3. Math BINGO: Chapter 7
HOMEWORK- Chapter 7 Test TOMORROW. Please make sure you have all of your Chapter 7 notes.
1:15-2:00pm- Brain Games: Test your Brain-Episode 1- Pay Attention
Friday, May 13th
1. Chapter 7 Assessment to STUDY: pg 358-359 all numbers
2. Chapter 7 Test Form B
Launch rockets with 8th grade?, Talent Show?, BBC Planet Earth Fresh Water? TBA
Monday, May 2nd:
Math: Hawaiian Studies
Watershed Activity and notes from activity DUE TODAY
Tuesday, May 3rd:
Math: Hawaiian Studies
Start Waihee Final Project
HOMEWORK: Final watershed project presentation- Due Thursday, May 12th
Wednesday, May 4th: Math: Hawaiian Studies
Thursday, May 5th: May Day Rehearsal
Greek and Latin: Correct 'Unit 20' and take unit 17-20 crossword.
Friday, May 6th: May Day-11:00am dismissal
Sacred Hearts School
239 Dickenson Street
Lahaina, HI 96761
Phone: (808) 661- 4720
Fax: (808) 667- 5363